Get the latest from SOSi through social media updates and tweets.
For 29 years, clients in the private and public sectors have relied upon SOS International LLC (SOSi) for critical operations in the world’s most challenging environments. SOSi is privately held, was founded by its current ownership in 1989, maintains corporate headquarters in Reston, VA, and specializes in providing logistics, construction, training, intelligence, and information technology solutions to the defense, diplomatic, intelligence and law enforcement communities.
All interested individuals will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or protected veteran status. SOSi takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance diversity and inclusion of individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
SOS International LLC (SOSi) is seeking an Afghan Advisor in support of a U.S. government customer. Afghan Advisors provide cultural expertise in support of missions in Afghanistan. This position reports to the SOSi Section Lead.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Be open-minded and committed to working towards a free and democratic Afghanistan, and be willing to support the efforts of U.S. military forces in Afghanistan
• Conducts real-time and accurate interpretations of ongoing conversations in English, Pashto and/or Dari, and/or applicable local dialects
• Provides analysis of and recommendations about Afghan political, social, economic, cultural, religious and tribal issues and other potentially newsworthy trends in the AOR
• Acts as a facilitator at meetings between the military and Afghan officials as deemed appropriate
• Through networking, gather information from the local community about issues or events of local or regional significance, special events and celebrations
• Gathers information on issues that are important to the Afghan people and the supported command
• Active DoD SECRET clearance; a TOP SECRET clearance is preferred
• Bachelor’s degree highly desired
• Afghan Advisors must have been born in Afghanistan, and possess a demonstrated, intimate, firsthand understanding of Southwest Asian culture and Afghan society in particular, acquired by personal experience or professional study
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience working, studying and/or interacting in predominantly Afghan communities as an adult (over the age of 21), or present clear evidence of contacts and relationships with key circles of influence in Afghan society of pressing value to our customer or other supported end-user entities. Experience may include university education in Afghanistan, time spent in Afghan refugee camps, and/or adult work experience in Afghanistan
• Possess demonstrated knowledge and understanding of independently verifiable tribal, political, religious, business and/or military connections in Afghanistan that are of value to the U.S. effort
• Possess ability to establish community and business contacts in the actual area(s) where the individual is scheduled for deployment
• Be able to communicate fluently and effectively verbally, and possess excellent writing skill sets, in English and Dari or Pashto, as well as other applicable Afghan languages or dialects spoken where assigned. An ILR proficiency level of 4 in listening, reading, and writing is required
• Able and willing to translate documents and conduct real-time, accurate and concise oral interpretations of conversations
• Proficient operating required computer and communications equipment, including word processing, graphic presentation and spreadsheet software. AAs must also be capable of using a Dari/Pashto keyboard in conjunction with their duties
• Excellent written, oral, briefing, interpersonal and technical skills
• Disclose business interests, commercial relationships, or real property owned in Southwest and Central Asia, to prevent conflicts of interest
• Live and work daily with military customer in austere conditions across Afghanistan
• Function effectively and efficiently in a conflict zone, during extended periods of high pressure and stress
©2015 SOS International, LLC. All rights reserved.