Get the latest from SOSi through social media updates and tweets.
For 30 years, clients in the private and public sectors have relied upon SOS International LLC (SOSi) for critical operations in the world’s most challenging environments. SOSi is privately held, was founded by its current ownership in 1989, maintains corporate headquarters in Reston, VA, and specializes in providing logistics, construction, training, intelligence, and information technology solutions to the defense, diplomatic, intelligence and law enforcement communities.
All interested individuals will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or protected veteran status. SOSi takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance diversity and inclusion of individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
SOS International LLC (SOSi) is seeking a qualified, professional, and experienced Bengali Court Interpreter to support a federal government customer in Boston, MA. Our job is to support our customer’s ongoing court cases by providing Bengali language interpretation.
These cases are supported on an as-needed basis and require interpreters with flexible schedules. Hours will differ from assignment to assignment, based on needs of the customer. We provide the interpreter with as much notice as possible, anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks ahead of time. From time to time, we have rush requests due to a cancellation.
• Provides consecutive and simultaneous interpretation between Bengali and English and vice versa
• Leads three-way telephonic interpretations between Government representatives and low English proficiency individuals as required
• Performs sight translation, occurring when an interpreter is given a written document in one language and asked to read it aloud in another language
• Provides quality control review of translated documents as required
• Performs other duties as required
• Legal ability to work in U.S.
• Certified Interpreter (Federal, State or NAJIT certified) or possess one (1) year of experience interpreting in a judicial environment
• Highly proficient in both English and Bengali vocabularies typically used in formal, consultative, and casual modes of communication in justice system contexts, including colloquial slang, idiosyncratic slang, and regionalisms
• Knowledgeable of specialized vocabulary (terminology) in both English and Bengali related to legal and criminal justice system terminology and immigration procedures, particularly with regard to terminology typically used in Immigration Court hearings
• Ability to speak English and Bengali fluently, including high to low levels of language register, regional colloquialisms and slang expressions, and do so with clear and intelligible pronunciation
• Ability to perform simultaneous, consecutive, and sight translation in a manner that is factually and conceptually accurate without changes, omissions, or additions
• Ability to preserve the tone and emotional level of the speaker, as well as manage the delivery, speed and length of the statement (projection, pace and pausing) of the speaker
• Ability to maintain appropriate speed and projection while rendering interpretation, and request and incorporate clarification of speaker’s statements only when justified
• Federal, State, National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators (NAJIT), or Judiciary Interpreters and Translators Certification Examination (JITCE) certification in interpretation
• Experience providing interpretation for Department of Justice (DoJ) Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) court cases
• Fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Work is on an as-needed basis
• Office environment with differing locations depending upon assignment
©2015 SOS International, LLC. All rights reserved.